10 August 2010

Free T-Shirts... I mean, Volunteering

In an attempt to meet people and get out into our new community, we have volunteered at a couple of charity walks this summer.  Also, there's a group we've joined to care for cats until they are adopted into a new home.  Last week, we volunteered at our church's VBS.  I think it teaches a good lesson to the kids.  Sometimes we do things for other people, animals and strangers even, without expecting anything in return.

Being new around here, I used a website (Volunteer Match) to find volunteer opportunities.  I just put in my zip code and a list of 375 activities came up.  I then narrowed the list by distance and age appropriateness.  There is usually a short form to fill out and then someone from that group contacts me.  So far, we've had nothing but positive experiences.

Almost each time we've volunteered, we have been given t-shirts to wear for the event so that others will recognize us if they need assistance.  I suppose it's also good advertising if we wear them around town afterward.  They even provide shirts for each of the kids.

So, maybe not expecting anything in return is not entirely true.  I expect to get a good feeling knowing that we've helped out.  I expect to use the event as a lesson while raising our children.  I expect a free t-shirt!


No comments: