20 August 2010

Day of Dislike: Re-entering the State of Illinois

At the Indianapolis 500, there is a tradition of Jim Nabors singing a song, "(Back Home Again in) Indiana."  He has done it almost every year since 1972.  The song itself has been a part of the race since 1942.  It is not the official song of Indiana but possibly the best known song referring to the Hoosier state.

I lived the first 36 years of my life in Indiana and any time we traveled, we would break out into song as we crossed the state border on our way home.  I've even hummed it quietly aboard planes as we landed.  Vacations are fun but nothing beats that feeling of getting back home.  Having a song to sing makes it even better.


We live in Illinois now and while it's a fine state and not that much different than Indiana, I don't get that wonderful feeling when we cross the border on the way home.  I'm sure the problem is that I grew up in Indiana.  It will always be "home."  Maybe if Jim Nabors would sing something about Illinois for the next 30 years, I would start to feel at home here. 

Click here to listen to the song.

1 comment:

Dan DaMan said...

I lived in the great state of Indiana for nearly 16 years and although I didn't like it much at first, it grew on me and I can now say that I am proud to be a Hoosier.

Illinois is very similar to Indiana but since we're up in the "Chicagoland" area, it's just not the same as an Indy. Chicago is big and everyone is trying to get somewhere an hour ago while being real knuckleheads about it. I miss Indiana...maybe Bellevue would be better...?