10 February 2011

Made Beds

I don't know the criteria that needs to be met to qualify as OCD, but my issues with unmade beds might be one of them.  The rest of my house may be a mess but I can assure you the beds are made.  Everyday.  And the pillows are turned the right way.


Some mornings, I will be downstairs and have an uneasy feeling.  I don't know how to describe it exactly.  It's the opposite of a warm fuzzy.  The problem is that the beds upstairs are not made.  I can't see them but I know they're not.  I know they're not because I'm the only one awake and there are people still in the beds.  This is how crazy unmade beds make me.

There have been mornings when I get up and do my best to make my side of the bed while my husband still sleeps.  I'm sure he appreciates that.  If my sleeping beauty daughter doesn't get up early enough, I will go in and just start trying to make her bed.  That usually gets her out.

I know I'm doing a disservice to my kids by not having them make their own beds.  This is a skill I would like them to have.  Every so often, I try to hold back and give them the opportunity to do it themselves.  This usually doesn't last for more than a week.

About once every six months, for whatever reason, the beds won't get made in the morning.  I cannot get into an unmade bed.  I will make the bed and then immediately get into it.

The last time I had to take a trip away from my family, my husband was so kind to let me know that he had made the beds at home for me.  Maybe my crazy is spreading.  By the way, while on that trip, I made my own bed at the hotel the next morning.

I've actually tried to be better about this lately.  I read an article that said your bed is healthier if you get out and wait a few hours to make it.  That lets the sheets and blankets air out a bit.  Makes sense to me.  I try to wait now.

As for the pillows, they have to have their case openings facing the edge of the bed, not the center.  I don't care how it looks.  It's all about spiders.  If a spider were to be in my pillow case and crawl out, he would likely fall to the floor.  If the pillow case openings are toward the center, the spider would crawl out and be in bed with me.  None of this has ever actually happened to me but it could.

Find Your Calm: Messy Bed, Messy Head

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There is help out there... I love a made bed but not like you do! My thing is carpet and paint. I would be so at ease in a home with NO carpeting! It doesn't feel clean to me. I'm a floor person so it really does matter to me. We take our shoes off and you know how much I clean carpet! It makes me feel a little better to dump the dirty water -and think it's clean. It's not. I think at this point I'm just sucking out the color! OMG and paint... I love a freshly painted room and woodwork, doors, panelling! Ahhh. I would love a room with wood floors big windows and freshly painted walls! I get ya with the pillow cases. I like my cases pressed! They feel so fresh and cool! And about the spiders... If that were my fear I would run from my bedroom door and leap into my bed.. After all, he would be in the carpet, or worse yet smashed on the wall...