20 October 2010

Hoarders



Hoarders is a documentary series on A&E about people and their inability to give or throw things away.  Many times they are also compulsive shoppers.  New episodes air on Monday nights at 10 EST.  

Do not call me on Monday night.  

I absolutely love this show.  I love crazy people and the people on this show are CRAZY.  Why would anyone keep trash from six years ago?  How many horse figurines does a "collector" really need?  I understand that they get to a point where they don't smell the odor, but shouldn't the sight of cat feces on the kitchen counter bother them?  Crazy.  The show is really very sad.  Many times the people are facing bankruptcy, city fines, jail time, or eviction.  If they have children or pets living in the house, they often live in fear of CPS and animal control.

The show does two things for me.  First, it assures me that my house is 'normal' messy.  Second, it prompts me to clean.  I will often scoop cat litter or scrub a toilet during the commercial breaks.

The kids usually watch the show with me and I've noticed a change in their attitudes when it comes to cleaning their rooms.  They like to see the carpet.  They are more willing to donate things.  Thank you Hoarders.

Do not call me on Monday night

1 comment:

Dan DaMan said...

This is (by far) the most compelling "real life" TV I have ever watched. Although the story lines are consistently the same, it never fails to be a refreshingly "new" experience every week.

I LOVE it!! Oh, and I love you, too.

D.