12 September 2010

My MacBook

I love my MacBook.  It's now several years old which means it may as well be 10 years old in the world of technology but I still love it.  I had another Mac before this one that lasted 8 or 9 years.  I think the final two years of that computer's life were spent listening to my husband nag me that it was time for a new one.  One thing that helped convince me in the end was the discount Apple gives to teachers (including homeschoolers) when purchasing one of their computers.  It wasn't a huge savings but it helped.

When I bought this one, I remember walking out of the mall with a bit of the obnoxious pride Mac users seem to have.  "Yeah, I'm cool.  I use a Mac. At home, I was thrilled to find stickers in the box.  I couldn't wait to slap that Apple sticker on my car so every loser at the intersection could see how hip I was.  "Okay, I drive a minivan but I'm still better than you."


It wasn't long after that when I was approached in a grocery parking lot by a nasty looking guy driving a nastier looking van from 1978.  "You have a Mac?"  Uncomfortable conversation followed and it  turned out, I was just as cool as this guy who has always used Mac, has several at home (probably in his mom's basement), and would never use anything else.  Mac users unite.  Gross.

Lately, I think the sticker has lost its meaning anyway.  The sticker used to mean you had an Apple computer.  Now, it just means you have a cell phone.

No comments: